Meet Scott Mahler

Scott Mahler

DIRECTOR OF DIGITAL IMMERSION

What I Do

As Director, Digital Immersion, I work closely with administration, faculty, instructional designers, media developers and technologists to deliver outstanding learning experiences at the intersection of art, science and technology. I am thankful for the opportunity to work with this community to evolve and implement the digital immersion strategy across the Fulton Schools of Engineering.

What I Did

Prior to joining the ASU family in December of 2016, I provided operational and strategic leadership for the Digital Education & Innovation Lab in the Office of Academic Innovation (AI) at my alma mater, the University of Michigan; Prior to my time with AI, I spent 15+ years working in a unit similar to GOEE in UM’s College of Engineering where I started as a media producer for ‘distance learning’ classes before the ‘online’ was common terminology in education. In the past, I’ve also worked as Marketing manager, Television producer and A/V tech.

What I Studied

I received a BA in Film and Video Studies and a BA in Communication from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.

What I Like

I believe we most find inspiration outside of our daily routines so I try to push my comfort zone and put myself in situations that will challenge and motivate me in and out of my work life. I enjoy spending time with my family, cycling, live music, movies, writing poetry, sports and excessively large, over-caffeinated, sugary beverages.

Favorite FSE Value

Favorite FSE Value

Build a foundation for all to be successful! Like many of my colleagues, when I joined the ASU Community, I was drawn to our charter of access and success. “Building a foundation for all to be successful” is most closely aligned with that tenet and The Learning and Teaching Hub’s mission. At its core, it is the essence of equity and justice. It inherently embraces the notion that every individual can positively contribute to their community and that the inclusion of multiple perspectives enables collaboration and bold thinking which in turn facilitate excellence and innovation!