Meet Mark Cumpston

Mark Cumpston

BUSSINESS OPERATIONS MANAGER

What I Do

It is a pleasure to serve the Teaching and Learning Hub as the administrative point person and direct operations assistance for the Director. Most of the work performed is in either human resources, such as hiring and compensation configuration, or financial, such as periodic reporting and compliance for ASU systems. While most of my work is in the background, I am here to help the team with process, procedure, and support.

What I Did

For 18 years, I served in three different units at the University of Washington: 1 in Cardiology, 1 at the National Alzheimer’s Research Center, and 16 years in the Division of Plastic Surgery. My time at UW was focused mostly on program and project management of surgical training programs or grant portfolios. A great deal of that experience was in direct support of medical students, residents and fellowship multi-year education programs and courses. Prior to that I spent 8 years in personal finance as a stockbroker, insurance agent and license financial advisor for small business and families in the Seattle area. I also spent time in retail management for Toys R Us, account management at For Rent Magazine and a brief career as a high school English teacher.

What I Studied

My MA is in Healthcare Administration was earned in 2012 from Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. Prior to that through 2005, I studied extensively with the College for Financial Planning in Denver, Colorado; I earned my Teaching Certificate, BA in English (minor in Theatre) at California State University at Chico in 1993; I earned my Associate of Arts in General Studies at Shasta College in Redding, California in 1991.

What I Like

I enjoy outdoor vacations with my fabulous family, wife Jennifer and two youngest sons Ryan 12 and Max 8. It is especially great when my older son in Seattle, Colton, 22 is able to join us on our wild adventures. We are avid gamers on Xbox and PC but we can also be found on the basketball court, art studio or at music lessons. It’s a blessing to be able to enjoy all these activities with my wonderful family!