Meet Kristen Peña

Kristen Peña

PROGRAM MANAGER, LEARNING INITIATIVES

What I Do

As Program Manager, Learning Initiatives, I plan, develop, and support a variety of faculty professional learning initiatives, including workshops and other learning opportunities. The goal of these initiatives is to facilitate a culture of teaching and learning for Fulton faculty in which all engineering students can thrive in environments that are relevant, engaging, and designed for student success.

What I Did

Prior to my role with the Hub, I led several entrepreneurially minded student programs and events at FSE under the ASU Kern Grant, and worked closely with the Grand Challenges Scholars Program, E+I @ FSE, the FSE Career Center, and the Fulton Student Success and Engagement office. Prior to joining the ASU family, I worked for several years at other higher education institutions in academic advising and program coordination.

What I Studied

I am currently pursuing my EdD in Leadership and Innovation at Arizona State University, where my research interests include faculty-student interactions, first-generation students, and retaining students in STEM fields. I am a first-gen student myself! I received my BA in Psychology from Northern Arizona University, where I had the opportunity to study abroad in the Netherlands for two semesters. I went on to earn my MA in Industrial Organizational Psychology from Argosy University.

What I Like

In my free time, I like reading, hiking, traveling, and watching a good sci-fi or fantasy movie. I like to dabble and try new things – skydiving, Ice Hotels, even eating haggis. I am my best self after at least two cups of coffee and will never decline a piece of chocolate. My household includes my video game loving husband, our dinosaur obsessed son, and two rescue dogs.