What is Respondus?
Respondus LockDown Browser (RLDB) is a custom browser that locks down a student’s computer and prevents them from opening unauthorized applications during an exam. If the instructor enables “Respondus Monitor”, then the software will also use the student’s webcam to record audio/video while they take the exam. RLDB does not support screen recording. All this occurs while LockDown Browser is running only. Once the browser is closed, it no longer limits the use of applications, restricts the device, nor uses its webcam.
Why should I use Respondus?
- Enterprise-wide Solution – LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor can be used in all ASU Canvas courses system-wide, irrespective of College / academic unit or Canvas sub-account.
- Academic Integrity – can help discourage cheating during quizzes and exams.
- Lock Down – Assessments are displayed full screen and cannot be minimized. Prevents access to all other applications.
- Disabled Shortcuts – Keyboard commands for copy, paste, print screen, etc. are disabled, as are right click menu options.
- Respondus Monitor – Captures webcam video of the student while testing to ensure a secure testing environment.
Instructor Live Proctoring – Allows instructors to live-proctor student exam attempts via video conferencing tools during the exam.
How do I go about getting started?
- Locate and click on LockDown in your course’s left-hand navigation.
- Click the arrow next to the quiz you want to proctor, and click “Settings”.
- Select the settings you wish to use for your quiz.
- Click “Save + Close”.
How can I get help?
- ASU Experience Center – 24/7 support for faculty, staff, and students. EC agents receive extensive training on our proctoring solutions and LMS and are equipped to help. After-hours emergencies should be reported here.
- Email [email protected] – Faculty/Staff-only, support for all questions or concerns. This email inbox is monitored during business hours by the Online Proctoring team.
Email [email protected]. Faculty/Staff-only, support for all questions or concerns. This email inbox is monitored during business hours by the FSE Learning and Teaching Hub team.