Meet Jennifer Mansfield

Jennifer Mansfield

INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGNER.

What I Do

I have been an Instructional Designer with the Fulton Schools of Engineering at ASU since July 2016. One of the best parts of my job is that I get to partner with faculty in creating meaningful learning experiences, especially in regards to hybrid and online learning. I even get to learn little tidbits along the way. For example, I now know there are only 14 Bravais Lattices.

Some areas of particular interest for me are Brain-based Learning, the journey from novice to expert, and the role storytelling can play in learning. I see the creation of a course as putting a giant jigsaw puzzle together. It is exciting to see the pieces come together to create an intriguing picture.

What I Did

Prior to joining the team at ASU I worked for the Maricopa Community College District at both the South Mountain and GateWay campus. While there, I worked in their Centers for Teaching and Learning doing faculty development. Previous to that, I worked in industry for a custom eLearning company.

What I Studied

I received my bachelors from Brigham Young University where I had the amazing opportunity to study abroad in the Middle East (Israel and Egypt) for a semester. Graduate school is what initially brought me to Arizona from the east coast. I received my masters degree from ASU in Educational Technology in 2004.

What I Like

Outside of work I have several loves – historical fiction, baked goods, fun funky socks, a couple cats and embarrassing my niece by car dancing at red lights. I am also an avid watcher of ‘The Amazing Race’ and dream of kooky adventures to far off lands inspired by the show.

Growing up as an Army brat gave me the opportunity (on multiple occasions) to spend hours on end with my family traveling in the car from coast to coast. They are some of my most favorite people and I appreciate that we can have full conversations consisting of nothing but movie quotes – strange things are afoot at the Circle K